The War Graves of Ystradgynlais

St. David's Abercrave Memorials

Saint David's Church, Abercrave was opened in 1912, and closed in 2016. A short summary of its opening and closing ceremonies can be found at the bottom of the page. It contains the following memorials:-

WW2 Brass Plaque
A photograph showing the location of the brass memorial plaque within Saint David's Church, Ystalyfera. It commemorates four men and one servicewoman who died during World War Two.


WW2 Brass Memorial Plaque
THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY THE CONGREGATION OF ST. DAVIDS CHURCH IN PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY OF THE MEMBERS OF THIS CHURCH WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN WORLD WAR II

SGT. GLYN WALTERS RAF
SGT. JENKIN LEWIS RAF
F/O. CLIFFORD WALTERS RAF
AB. ILBERT PARSONS RN
CPL. ALWEN MAI EVANS WAAF

AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN AND IN THE MORNING WE WILL REMEMBER THEM


You can view the memorial pages for the fallen of Saint David's Church, Abercrave by clicking their names below:-

Glyn Walters
Jenkin Lewis
Clifford Walters
Ilbert Parsons
Alwen Mai Evans

An overview of Saint David's cemetery lists all of the wargraves.


This article from the South Wales Voice Saturday 15th March 1947 describes the installation of the memorial in the church, as well as an electronic carillon in the church tower:-

A BEAUTILFUL MEMORIAL AT ABERCRAVE CHURCH

St David's Church Abercrave is shortly to install an electronic carillon in the church tower, together with a memorial tablet in the church, in memory of the five members who died in the service of their country during the last war. The electronic carillon will be the first of its kind in Wales and delivery has been promised by Easter. To meet the cost of £200 a Gift Day is being held on Sunday 16th March.
The five members of the church to whom the memorial is being placed are Corporal A M Evans WAAF: Sergeant Jenkins Lewis RAF; Able Seaman Ilbert Parsons RN; Flight Officer Clifford Walters RAF and Sergeant Glyn Walters RAF.
In his circular letter to the parishioners concerning the Gift Day, the Vicar wrote "Many of you will remember those dear ones beyond recall, with affection and gratitude and will want to make a gift to the memory of them.
"There are parents, wives, brothers and sisters who will want to make a thank offering that their own sons, husbands, sisters and brothers were restored to them.
"Many to, will doubtless be prompted to contribute by the recollection that they themselves were never called upon to face the perils, hardships and hazards of war".
The Vicar has received numerous enquiries from non members, who for various reasons are anxious to contribute towards the memorial and desires to make it known that such gifts will be welcome.
Intending contributors who have not received one of the special Gift envelopes, are kindly asked to use an ordinary envelope and to write their name and address on the outside.
The Vicar's circular letter was confined to the church members resident in Abercrave but he would like through the medium of the Llais, which is regularly circulated far and wide, to draw the attention of all those, wherever they may be to whom the name Abercrave is music in the ear. For old time's sake, they also may like to send something along and those gifts too, will be warmly appreciated.


Opening and Closing Ceremonies

The Closing Eucharist at St David's Church, Abercrave was held on 10 April 2016, with the Right Rev John Davies, Bishop of Swansea and Brecon. From the order of service, the following information comes, written by Canon Dewi Roberts, Priest with oversight. The last hymn sung at the church was the aptly named "Final Hymn/Emyn olaf" sung to the tune of "Lord for the years".

St David's was consecrated on the afternoon of Tuesday July 16th 1912 by the Right Reverend John Owen, the famous Bishop of Saint David's (this parish, then, was in the diocese of Saint David's). On that evening another service was held during which the Suffragen bishop of Swansea, the Right Reverend Edward Latham Bevan preached. In 1923 he became the first Bishop of Swansea and Brecon. Bishop John Owen began the consecration service with words which included the following "Let us not doubt, but He (our Heavenly Father) will also approve our godly purposes, of setting apart this place in solemn manner, to the performan ce of the several offices of Religious Worship."

Over the past 104 years this church has faithfully served the community in providing a space for worship and prayer. It has inspired people to discover faith and it has encouraged people to serve God all over the world. During this service we give thanks to God for all who have served, ministered and worshipped here.


Aber-Craf/Abercrave parish was formed out of Ystradgynlais in 1925, and lasted until the reorganisation of the Upper Swansea Valley into Ministry Areas in 2016.
In 1957 the Vicar of Abercrave became responsible for Saint John the Baptist Church, Callwen.
In the 1980s, or 1990s, Capel Coelbren was added to create the three-church parish of Cwmtawe Uchaf.
After the closure of Abercrave Church, and the abolition of the parish, the other two places of worship continued as part of the Ministry Area which is centred on the churches and vicars of Ystalyfera (Saint David's) and Ystradgynlais (Saint Cynog's).



 

Ystradgynlais Memorials

Contact Ystradgynlais History
Telephone : 07855 838502

Email Yeargroup:
yeargroup@hotmail.co.uk
Email Grey Wolf Web Design:
webdesign@wolfianpress.com
Ystradgynlais History
Wolfian Design
How To Write Alternate History

Click the cover to purchase the paperback


How To Write Alternate History is a series of articles by Grey Wolf, examining subjects such as the identity of man, whether man makes the weather, how the everyday in an alternate world is going to be changed and what names for music, vehicles, weapons etc would be different.